Growing in discipleship together
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
We are so glad you are interested in joining an Encouragement Group! These groups are meant for members of Grace Community Church who want to join with others in applying the “Next Steps” from Adult Sunday School. Sign up below or keep reading for more information.
We are meant to grow as disciples of the Lord and we are meant to grow together. But how?
We often talk about our walk with the Lord. This imagery communicates how we live out our relationship with the Lord in faith and obedience. This imagery is the basis for why we are talking about “Next Steps” in discipleship. Following the Lord is accomplished day by day, step by step.
- Provide a concrete and doable “Next Step” every Sunday in Adult Sunday School for those who want to grow in their walk.
- Organize groups of men and of women who will encourage each other throughout the week in pursuing these “Next Steps.” This is meant for members of Grace Community Church.
What this will look like
- Each week there will be a “Next Step” from the teaching (examples here), an action item that will make the teaching more profitable. This could be reading related verses in Scripture, a definition to memorize, a topic to pray about, a service to do for others, etc.
- “Next Steps” can be accomplished independently, but we encourage each member to consider participating in loose “Encouragement Groups.” These groups will not have meeting times, rather they will be small groups of three or four who will communicate throughout the week regarding the most recent “Next Step.” These groups will be men encouraging men, and women encouraging women. Communication will focus on encouragement, accountability and prayer specifically related to each “Next Step.”
- If you would like to be a part of an “Encouragement Group,” please sign up and we will coordinate groups.
What this will accomplish
- Those who participate will grow in the things of the Lord, resulting in deeper enjoyment of the blessings of the Lord.
- Those who participate will grow in usefulness to the Lord and his church.
- Those who participate will help others to grow in the things of the Lord and in their usefulness to the Lord.
Please consider participating. Your effort will benefit your walk, but it will also benefit our church. The health of a church depends on the health of its members. We need a church family that is equipped in the truth and the Lord expects that this pursuit will happen together.
Guidelines for Encouragement Groups
If you are thinking of signing up or have already signed up, please read and abide by the following guidelines:
Overall purpose: Weekly communication for the purpose of supporting and encouraging one another in pursuing the current “Next Step.”
- All participants should be regularly attending Adult Sunday School. If you miss a given day of Sunday school, please listen to the teaching promptly so that you can keep in sync with your brothers and sisters.
- Sometimes health conditions and job schedules prevent people from attending Sunday school. If you are similarly prevented from attending but have a heart to join an encouragement group, please let Pastor Jason or Pastor Brian know.
- Use each other’s preferred methods of communication. (phone call, text, email, etc.)
- Focus on the specific “Next Step.”
- You won’t have time to discuss every important topic. Focus on immersing yourself in the current topic and helping others to do the same.
- Be mindful of one another’s time when communicating. Many people are busy and we want this effort to be sustainable for the long term.
- All communication should be at hours that do not affect one another’s sleep.
- Check on one another’s progress in that week’s Next Step
- Give and take prayer requests for applying the Next Step
- Share your personal encouragements, convictions, etc.
- Whatever it looks like, consider how you can be a blessing to one another. This is not a cold theological group, it is Christians coming alongside one another in real life. Remember Hebrews 10:24-25!